A Rose by any other name
Hello curlers and public,
At Ironman Curling we appreciate and enjoy creativity. It’s what sets our event apart from a regular bonspiel. In the same goal we want to show respect to the charity we help fundraise for, the Heart and Stroke Foundation. As well honour the efforts of our volunteers, commitments made by our sponsors and partners.
“A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.” “is a popular reference to William Shakespeare’s play Romeo and Juliet, in which Juliet seems to argue that it does not matter that Romeo is from her family’s rival house of Montague, that is, that he is named “Montague”.
There seems to be a common theme of naming teams with rocks, ice and cold. While this is appreciated teams have the opportunity and potential to be fresh or original. We encourage teams to take some extra time to think about what your friends and your curling team is all about.
Ideas for team name
- Places you currently or previously lived, neighborhoods, province or countries
- Type of drinks you enjoy or the food you like best
- Your favorite sports team – either local, nationally or internationally
- Movies, actors or characters you look up to
- A person or family member that you wish to honour that passed away recently. Curling on their behalf
- Your business or company. We do ask you consider being a sponsor and if you are a sponsor then using your company name fits right in
- Someone, place or process you look up too
- A place you hope to travel one day
- Something that reflects the trade, business or professional your group is in
The number of ideas is endless. Talk to your team about the name and give people the gift of time to mull it over. Finding a name is part of the fun.
At the end of the day the team name should reflect the character of your group. You are curling to have a enjoyable time and you should be proud of your team name. Your team name could be this years’ Ironman Champions or be in the media in some fashion. Ask yourself this, if your mother or your niece/nephew/daughter/son came to watch you play and was cheering your team name, would it be appropriate. When you introduce yourself to another curling team, none of your players or the other team should cringe at the name.
A team name can be changed up until team registrations closes. If you find a better name that captures your spirit then use that. We have some great team names that are great for making up cheers. The best team names are 1 to 2 words.
Unfortunately if the Ironman Outdoor Curling Bonspiel committee feels a team name is inappropriate the team will respectfully ask the team to change its name. If we were to lose sponsorship due to inappropriate names then the bonspiel becomes at risk for everyone. Thank you for your help and understanding on this.